DieselHouse has a special exhibition about Selandia. Selandia was the first diesel-powered ship that was approved to sail the oceans. The ship was made, in collaboration between B&W and ØK, who considered the diesel engine to be a more effective replacement to the steam engine. The diesel engine was more efficient as propulsion engine, because it had better efficiency, needed less space for fuel and because it resulted in a large reduction of staff in the engine room.
Selandia was built on B&W’s yard on Refshaleøen and it completed a successful trial in Øresund in February 1912. The ship was handed over to ØK on February 17th and subsequently went on its maiden voyage on February 22, 1912 with Bangkok as the final destination. The ship had 900 tons of oil stored at the bottom of the ship, so that there was enough fuel for both the journey back and forth. At the time it was not possible to refuel in Bangkok. The ship raised a great deal of attention all over the world, giving both ØK and B&W a commercial- and technological lead compared to its competitors.
Selandia was the beginning of the steam engines phase-out as ship-propulsion machinery and also the basis for the success of the diesel engine today.